Thursday, January 4, 2018

2017 EOY Wrap Up

At the end of every year and the beginning of the next, I go into contemplative mode. I think about the past year. What happened? What changed in my life? What were the big things that I accomplished? What did I spend my time doing or thinking about? And then I think about the upcoming one as well. What do I want to see happen? What do I want to change in my life? What big things do I want to accomplish? What do I want to spend my time doing and thinking about? What things about last year do I really want to see change in the upcoming one?

My brother asked our church family on Sunday what one word we would use to describe our 2017 year. And I almost instantly came up with the word "change." I got pregnant at the end of January/beginning of February 2017. There are a massive amount of changes that happen in the body during pregnancy. Little Girl grew so much over the past year. She was 15 months old starting 2017 and now she's 27 months. She's speaking in sentences, almost fully potty trained, and she's becoming more and more independent. Changes with her happen daily. Along with my bodily changes from being pregnant, I worked hard on our house to prepare for Baby Boy. We remodeled our biggest bathroom. We moved our bedroom and Little Girl's bedroom in order to free up the nursery for Baby Boy. I was constantly purging unnecessary possessions to donate or trash or sell to make room for all of the additional items that a baby requires. Then, of course, Baby Boy was born and everything changed. Our family changed. Our schedules changed. My body changed yet again. I'm sure I truly have barely touched on the surface of things that have changed this past year.

In a lot of ways, 2017 felt like an entire repeat of 2015. I got pregnant about the same time of year, gave birth 10 days off from my first. Went the majority of the year pregnant. Yet so much of 2017 was different from 2015 because this time around I had Little Girl with me already. 2016 was a whirlwind of craziness as the changes of very young babies through the first year are significant. Our schedules changed multiple times. And 2018 feels like it will be much of a repeat of 2016. Schedule changes. Lack of sleep. Nursing constantly in the beginning to steadily dropping feedings toward the end of the year in order to wean.

I feel like I've found my groove as a stay at home mom, and adjusting to two kids has been faster than I expected--though still overwhelming in a lot of ways. Knowing that I can do this parenting thing makes things easier. Having been through this before helps. Granted each child is different, I still feel more confident in my abilities and techniques as a mom. I'm looking forward to feeling like things are "back to normal" and I can breathe a bit easier, but in the meantime I'm soaking up the snuggles from Baby Boy and enjoying watching Little Girl grow. I can't wait to see them playing together in the near future.

Reading and blogging have not been a top priority for me since 2015. Of course, I still love doing both and don't see myself going anywhere any time soon, but I just have to work them into life where and when I can. 2018 I imagine will feel like I'm in survival mode again, but I know how quickly this time passes. It's hard to imagine that Little Girl is a quarter of the way into her third year of life. My oldest nephew will be turning 16 years old in April and I remember changing his diapers and being there when he was born so I know how quickly the time flies.

EOM Wrap Up Posts for 2017

January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Blogging Highlights from 2017

  • Holly and I successfully hosted the 2017 Series Enders Reading Challenge. This was our fourth year. We are returning for 2018 also.
  • I participated in the March Take Control of Your TBR Pile and read 3 books from my TBR pile.
  • Celebrated my 6th Blogoversary.
  • October was my 5th annual All Things Halloween event of Halloween-ish book reviews and such.
  • I continued a feature created in previous years: Discussions Only We Know. Although, I didn't get any Series DNF, Cover Doubles, Upon Further Review, or From the Ashes posts done.
  • I started a new featuring in 2017: Problems Only We Know.
  • I didn't review any movies this year.
  • I didn't listen to any audiobooks because I haven't figured out how to do so with my new day to day.
  • But I did re-read one book this year.
  • I exceeded my Goodreads total books read challenge with 64 out of 52 books read.
  • I completed my Bible-in-a-year reading plan for the 6th year in a row.
  • But I did fall a little short on my Series Enders goal of 10-12 books with 8 series enders read.
  • Books Read in 2017

    *These qualify for the 2017 Series Enders Reading Challenge.

    Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands, # 2) by Alwyn Hamilton (review coming soon)
    Keep Her Safe by KA Tucker (review coming soon)
    Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely by Lysa TerKeurst
    Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands, # 1) by Alwyn Hamilton (review coming soon)
    This Tiny World by Lauren Gibaldi (review coming soon)
    Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon (review coming soon)
    This Heart of Mine by CC Hunter (review coming soon)
    Without Merit by Colleen Hoover (review coming soon)
    A Different Blue by Amy Harmon (review coming soon)
    *An Inconvenient Beauty (Hawthorne House, # 4) by Kristi Ann Hunter
    The Lost Letter by Mimi Matthews
    Love, Life, and the List by Kasie West
    PS I Like You by Kasie West (review coming soon)
    Lettering with Purpose: Creative techniques and prompts for making meaningful, inspirational hand-lettered art by Brittany Luiz
    Charged (Saints of Denver, # 2) by Jay Crownover
    Built (Saints of Denver, # 1) by Jay Crownover
    Dividing Eden (Dividing Eden, # 1) by Joelle Charbonneau
    The Butterfly Project by Emma Scott
    The Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennett (review coming soon)
    An Elegant Facade (Hawthorne House, # 2) by Kristi Ann Hunter (review coming soon)
    *A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, # 3) by Sarah J Maas
    A Thousand Boy Kisses by Tillie Cole (review coming soon)
    Anatomy of an Affair: How Affairs, Attractions, and Addictions Develop, and How to Guard Your Marriage Against Them by Dave Carder
    A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, # 2) by Sarah J Maas
    *After the Game (The Field Party, # 3) by Abbi Glines
    A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, # 1) by Sarah J Maas
    Paris Lights (Heart of the City, # 1) by CJ Duggan (review coming soon)
    Shadowcaster (Shattered Realms, # 2) by Cinda Williams Chima
    One Dark Throne (Three Dark Crowns, # 2) by Kendare Blake
    Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, # 1) by Kendare Blake
    Bright Side (Bright Side, # 1) by Kim Holden
    *All In (Full Tilt, # 2) by Emma Scott
    Full Tilt (Full Tilt, # 1) by Emma Scott
    Praying the Attributes of God: A Daily Guide to Experiencing His Greatness by Ann Spangler
    God-Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartolo
    The Captain's Daughter (London Beginnings, # 1) by Jennifer Delamere
    Bang by Barry Lyga
    Lies We Believe About God by William Paul Young
    Twist (Dive Bar, # 2) by Kylie Scott
    Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, # 1) by Cassandra Clare
    Dirty (Dive Bar, # 1) by Kylie Scott
    Kiss of Fire (Imdalind, # 1) by Rebecca Ethington
    Windfall by Jennifer E Smith
    The Bird and the Sword (The Bird and the Sword, # 1) by Amy Harmon
    *The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, # 4) by Maggie Stiefvater
    Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas
    These Things I've Done by Rebecca Phillips
    Until It Fades by KA Tucker
    *Havoc (Mayhem, # 4) by Jamie Shaw
    *Long Way Home (Thunder Road, # 3) by Katie McGarry
    The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, # 1) by Amy Harmon
    Making Faces by Amy Harmon
    Mr. President (Mr. President, # 1) by Katy Evans
    The Secret History of Us by Jessi Kirby
    100 Hours (100 Hours, # 1) by Rachel Vincent
    The Radius of Us by Marie Marquardt
    Like a River Glorious (The Gold Seer Trilogy, # 2) by Rae Carson
    *Coming Up for Air (Hundred Oaks, # 8) by Miranda Kenneally

    Books DNF'D

    The Sound of Light by Claire Wallis (DNF @ 44%)

    How was your 2017? Are you exciting about moving on to 2018? Let me know!

    1 comment:

    1. What a great post! Congrats to your family on the new addition. You read so many books this year.

      ReplyDelete