Monday, February 25, 2013

The Iron Daughter - Review

The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, # 2)

By: Julie Kagawa

Published: August 1st 2010 by Harlequin Teen

359 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

Boy oh boy...where do I start?

Does every paranormal series follow the same basic patterns? No one answer that, I already know. The answer is no, not EVERY paranormal series follows the same patterns. However, MOST, or at the very least SEVERAL do. And that is...um...annoying. That being said, if I had read The Iron Daughter this time last year perhaps I would not have been so sick of this pattern and I would be frustrated with a completely different book. *Sigh* But that's not the case. So here goes.

I'm sick of situations where the leading boy has to act like he doesn't like the girl in order to protect her. And because leading girl is so daft and insecure she doesn't realize what's going on and believes that leading boy no longer cares about her which leads to a bunch of whining and moaning. And eventually because it appears that no leading girl must really be in love, she always seeks revenge. Hurt boy because boy hurt me.

I completely understand the instinct to make someone who has hurt you hurt in the same way they hurt you. Because I believe this is actually a self-preservation technique. One that says "if you could possibly understand how I feel and how much this hurts then there's no way you could ever hurt me this way again." But we will and we do. And retaliation is not true love.

I was frustrated with Meghan and Ash to the point of being done with them. I totally understood what Team Jacob fans felt in this moment. And I rooted for the underdog (who as I predicted in my review of book 1, The Iron King...whoops no spoilers).

Then about 65% through I came to another stumbling block. We realize something awful has happened to Ash. OH NO! He's not himself any more. He's under some kind of possession/mind control thing. And it's up to the only person who cares enough about him to risk it all to save him. Um...yeah...shoot me now!

Of course, things do get worse from there. What's the only thing worse than an Ash who's not himself? An Ash going after Meghan's family--the only thing people do the stupidest things EVER over. Family. Loved ones. And it's doubly bad if it's a loved one going after family. Can you guys understand why I'm frustrated here?

But we're not done. Once Ash is broken out of his mind control/possession state, he's all "I can't believe I did that. I can never be forgiven. I'm a horrible, evil faery even though I was possessed and had no control over my actions." BLAH BLAH BLAH!

Surprisingly, I still feel like I can give The Iron Daughter 3 stars. I know from the sound of this review, I hated it. But I didn't. And like I said before, had I read The Iron Daughter before tons of other books that followed this pattern I wouldn't be ranting about any of these things. And because The Iron Daughter was published before a good portion of the books I've read recently, I'll give The Iron Daughter the benefit of the doubt. Not that Julie Kagawa invented these patterns and everyone else followed her example. But still. Something has to be said for timing.

The ending frustrated me too if only slightly. Faced with an ultimatum, Ash and Meghan both make a decision that involves finality with their relationship with either each other or the faery world of Nevernever. But considering there are still more books to come in the series that I haven't read, what do you want to bet that ultimatum is broken? (That is, if I were a betting woman.)

I did enjoy the cast of characters again. Puck of course was a favorite of mine. Grim was sneaky and awesome because I can't completely figure him out. And then we had a surprise character join the group that I very much enjoyed.

Again, I'm giving The Iron Daughter 3 Stars. Have you read The Iron Daughter? What did you think? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Regardless of Meghan's frustrating character in this book I hope you continue to read the series! I think The Iron Queen is the best of the series :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also disappointed by The Iron Daughter when I read it 2 years ago, but The Iron Queen is so much better! It blew me away with it's amazingness! U should read more of Julie Kagawa's books she is one of my fav authors :D

    ReplyDelete